There are three simple steps to rewire your brain to be happier at work. Most of us spend a greater part of the week at work and and a recent Gallup poll in the USA found that only 13% were actually happy at work. The other 87% are unhappy. That means a lot of unhappy people who will suffer many illnesses caused by stress, anxiety and worry.
It is possible to learn to happier at work. According to ‘positive psychologist’ Dr Richard J. Davidson:
There is now overwhelming evidence to indicate that happier people are actually healthier.
Here are some facts in the video to ponder on:
- The average adult spends 47% of the day on automatic pilot. It means that we do not pay attention what we are doing.
- An average office worker gets interrupted every 3 minutes and after that interruption it takes 23 minutes to get back on track.
Psychologist Shilagh Mirgain says that doing 20 minutes mindfulness meditation, of focusing on your breath, for 30 days strengthened and ‘built more grey matter in the brain’s pre-frontal cortex, which is the area of the brain associated with attention, emotion regulation and executive decision making’.
Three Steps to be Happy at Work
Spending time to absorb happy moments helps to rewire the brain to be happy
The three steps to help you learn to be happier at work are:
- 5 Minute Mindfulness Meditation: When you become aware that you are unable to pay attention to what you are doing. Pause and observe your breath for 5 minutes
- 3 Good Things: Write down 3 good things that happen to you every day. This will help overcome the negative bias of the brain and rewire it towards positivity. Doing this for just four weeks has shown that people are 5% happier.
- 1 Act of Kindness per day: Extend one act of kindness and this will help you experience a greater sense of well-being and happiness.
5 Minute Breathing Meditation – Audio
Here is a five minute mindfulness meditation practice by Diana Winston from the Mindful Awareness Research Centre, UCLA to start you off on your mediation practice.
If you would like to learn to practice mindfulness meditation there are more Free resources and downloads available on:
One of the best books I have read with comprehensive information and research on Mindfulness Practices is the latest edition of:
Full Catastrophe Living (Revised Edition): Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness by Jon Kabat-Zinn
This blog post was inspired by a news item on Today.com of NBC NEWS. Source: Why the numbers 5, 3 and 1 can make you happier at work